OT: What's the deal with Ubuntu?

K. Richard Pixley rich at noir.com
Thu May 26 15:44:05 UTC 2005

Jerry Gaiser wrote:

>Broadband penetration in the US and especially the Western US is *much*
>smaller than those of you in the big cities imagine.

I was at a wedding in the midwest recently.  Of some 15 - 20 people
asked, my brother and I, who live in sillicon valley, were the only ones
for whom DSL or better were available.

So it's not just western US.  It's pretty much all rural areas.  Think
telephone penetration of the early 1950's.  Most farms didn't have
them.  Most small towns shared a single line if they had one at all.
Hotels in those areas advertise 56k dedicated as "high speed internet".

Satellite solutions also have some serious interactivity problems due to
the delays.

--rich