phishing emails

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Thu May 26 16:06:12 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-05-26 at 11:23, James Kosin wrote:

> |because I only use this adress for fedora mailing lists and never for
> |any other purpose.
>
> Vassilios,
>
> Unfortuneately, when you post to any list (I do mean any), many other
> independant sites host archives of the list and many many people on
> this list receive email from the list with other peoples email
> addrsses.  That the only secure email address is one that NEVER sends
> an email.
>
> You could alternately change sendmail (maybe) to only accept mail
> delivery from a known source... but, that may quickly grow into a
> massive project to manage.
>

> The junk mail has been minimal now; but, I still get some that come in
> now and then 20-30 a day.
>
> There are also many SPYware applications, ADDware or JUNKware I like
> to call them.  Out there that may also collect this information.

I have found that using spamassassin configured as a filter works
extremely well.  Each week I get several hundred spam.  Of those a small
handful get past spamassassin into my inbox, no more than 10 or 15 in a
week.  The remainder get put in the junk mail folder where I
periodically run sa-learn against them.  Just cleaned out the junk mail
folder which had over 400 spam messages trapped since last week.

The best spam tool I have found so far is greylisting.  Unfortunately
you need to control your MTA in order to set this up.  With greylisting
you can block 99%+ of spam that is sent out.  One small company I set
this up for went from ~8000 spam messages a day to 10 a day.  And those
10 were caught by spamassassin.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

I have made mistakes but I have never made the mistake of claiming
that I have never made one.
		-- James Gordon Bennett