OT: What's the deal with Ubuntu?

THUFIR HAWAT hawat.thufir at gmail.com
Thu May 26 19:58:48 UTC 2005

On 5/26/05, K. Richard Pixley <rich at noir.com> wrote:
[..]
> >all anyone needs is the "minimal," although, of course, what is and
> >isn't minimal is contentious.  the rest should be installed with yum,
> >or emerge, or foo, or whatever.
> >
> >Of course, my rant presuposes an internet connection.
> >

> Your way would take me days to install.  With the info on
> cd/dvd/kickstart, it takes me 45 minutes to install.  Your way would
> prevent me from using fedora core and I'd need to move to some other
> distribution which actually made those extra bits available.
>
> I do install everything.  It's only 6.5 gig these days and paying for
> those extra disk blocks is much easier than ever needing to go hunt for
> bits when I need them.  By installing everything, they're "just there"
> when I need them.  Much cheaper in the long run.
>
> --rich

fair enough, Rich.  I've never had dial-up, I've either had broadband
or nothing, so I was kinda throwing that out there.  neither am I
opposed to your choice to install everything.  (err, not to go off
topic, but think of a certain seinfeld episode involving soup
and a very fervent chef.)

nevertheless, I'd still like to see a "Thufirs Fedora," if you will,
with only enough to run yum.  In this alternate universe yum would
never fail, would have some sort of yumex type menu from the command
line and would install java, too :)

-Thufir