tweaking tutorial

Fred Morcos fred.morcos at gmail.com
Thu May 26 21:10:34 UTC 2005

On 5/26/05, Scot L. Harris <webid at cfl.rr.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 2005-05-26 at 16:37, Fred Morcos wrote:
> > hey everyone,
> > i tried to search for tutorials and online books on how to tweak the
> > linux kernel because i am really disappointed with the performance of
> > FC3, boot time is too long and the system is slow in responding to
> > actions, also it takes up too much memory space (about 110 mbs).. does
> > anyone have a tutorial or books to teach me how to remove unused
> > modules and recompile the kernel, also how to tweak my FC3 system and
> > etc... (please dont ask me to remove services to decrease boot time
> > because i already did and its still to slow)..
> > thanks for the help..
> > ps: im a beginner and have 0 knowledge about kernel compiling and all
> > that stuff..
>
> Before you embark on tweaking the kernel what hardware are you running?
> How much memory? Processor speed? What are you comparing it to?
>
> How did you measure the memory usage?
>
> top, free, and vmstat can provide some good information.

im running a p4 2.8 ghz (i686), 512 mb of ram, im comparing it to how
windows xp runs on my computer..
i measured memory usage from the gnome system monitor..
u might tell me that i can sacrifice some boot time in exchange of
stability, but actually the system is really slowly-responsive.. and this
bugs me.. ;)
-fred