No FC2 updates anymore in all repo's?

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Fri May 27 14:30:58 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-05-27 at 10:14 -0400, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Fri, May 27, 2005 at 03:43:23PM +0200, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> > > knowledge of things that need to be done (e.g. on FC4 it will remove the
> > > i386 version of perl on x86_64 installs), information that isn't
> > > available to yum or apt.
> > Well, that's what I call broked design.
>
> Maybe. It's easy to call things broken in retrospect. However, much of the
> "magic" that anaconda does is outside of the scope of individual packages.
> It drags along knowledge like "hey, if you had mozilla installed before, you
> probably want firefox installed now, even though the two packages can
> coexist just file",
This is a different class of problems: It is adding packages, not
replacing packages. It won't harm users, nor will it have ugly side
effects.

>  and also "hey, lvm1 needs to be converted to lvm2".
This is a similar class problems to forcing an "arch switch", however if
anaconda can handle this issue, rpm probably can do it, too (By using
rpm-tag tricks in combination with %pre/post etc. scripts).

However, I would not do this inside of an rpm and leave it to the user
in this case, until he explicitly requests such switch.

Nevertheless, an "arch-switch" of FC packages probably is more harmless
than that. As I said in my reply to Rahul, I know too little about the
internals of this particular problem, but I doubt this can't be handled
by incrementing E:V.R.

Ralf