Creating a cluster

Crisler, Jon JCrisler at corvis.com
Fri May 27 15:37:41 UTC 2005

>Hi all,

>  Is there a way to create a cluster so that you can spread one
>process across many computers, thus creating something like one
>super processor, and not many single processors? Thanks,

>-Mathias

Yes, and no.

YES- search the web for something called BEOWULF Linux.
http://www.beowulf.org/
 Also, Turbo Linux had something as well, and you might want to
investigate a topic called "grid computing".  Also look for SETI / BOINC
as an example of grid computing (well, I feel its grid computing, others
might not agree).  If the problem you are trying to answer is adaptable
to the BOINC system, then you have an excellent basis to get started.

The problem is that your software has to be written specifically to do
this, or adapt to clustered systems, like Oracle RAC (real application
clusters).  If your software is not written to do this, then it is
pretty much beyond the power of any one human to rewrite it.

Jon

The information contained in this e-mail including any attachments may constitute Corvis Equipment Corporation Proprietary Information that is subject to Non-Disclosure Agreement and cannot be disclosed to any other party without the express consent of Corvis Corporation.

If you are neither the intended recipient of this e-mail nor responsible for delivering this e-mail to the intended recipient, note that any dissemination, distribution, copying, or retention of this e-mail is prohibited.

If you believe you have received this e-mail in error, we request that you notify the sender by return e-mail and then delete this e-mail and any return email immediately.