managing servers...

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sun May 29 02:40:17 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-05-28 at 20:30, bruce wrote:

> however, i wasn't looking at how someone would setup an oscar type of
> situation... my issue is what tootls would one use to easily configure a
> server/multiple servers...

Webmin is probably the the best generic thing.

> as far as i can tell.. there are apps that are good at certain functionality
> (control panels), nogios, etc... nut you don't have a good comprehensive
> tool that would allow someone to easily setup a really good
> ftp/webserver/etc.. and know that it's solid...
>
> linux still requires a great deal of hand/command line functions to make it
> work...

You might like the 'SME' server distribution found at
http://contribs.org.   It is about as easy to set up as any
system can possibly be.  That ease comes at the expense of
closely integrating the configuration tools and templates with
the underlying programs, so you'll find this distribution has
had some problems staying up to date, and because certain
concepts are combined for simplicity there may be things that
don't work exactly like a more general distribution.  However
if it does what you want, it really is as easy as answering
a few questions in the install and then filling in a few forms
with a web interface and you end up with a web, mail, ftp and
windows file server and if you want it, an internet gateway and
firewall on the same box.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com