[Fedora] Resizing those partitions!

Ashley M. Kirchner ashley at pcraft.com
Sun May 29 05:37:23 UTC 2005

Richard Crawford wrote:

>/dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00
>                       70G  3.0G   63G   5% /
>/dev/hda1              99M   13M   82M  13% /boot
>none                  125M     0  125M   0% /dev/shm
>/dev/hda2              49G  360M   46G   1% /home
>/dev/hda3              29G   28G     0 100% /var
>
>Or should I just give in and rebuild the system from scratch?

    Personally, I would rebuild the system.  Resizing partitions is just
too risky to deal with.  My servers all have less than 10 G root (/)
partitions.  The OS really doesn't need that much.  I have /var/log and
/tmp on separate partitions so the system doesn't come to a grinding
halt when those fill up without me knowing (4 GB on each should be
plenty.)  Since you said you won't use /home (as much) or don't expect
it to fill up, you can keep it small ... OR ... use that as your MP3
storage.  Whatever you do, I would keep your MP3 storage on its own
separate partition.  As you noticed, having it as part of /var, you now
have a full /var and the system will more than likely start generating
errors because it can't save anything in /var/log.  If you insist on
having /var/shared/music, have it on it's own little partition (or large
partition, whatever the case might be.)  This way it can fill up to 100%
while /var is still able to continue to serve the OS in general.

--
H | I haven't lost my mind; it's backed up on tape somewhere.
  Photo Craft Imaging                       .     3550 Arapahoe Ave. #6