ext2 and fat16?

Frank Chen frankxchen at yahoo.com
Sun May 29 07:09:31 UTC 2005

Well, here is the long story.

I did mount it with "mount -t ext2 /dev/hdb2 /tmp/p2"
and was able to work with it. I remember that I
formatted this partition as ext2 during installation.
That's why I mounted it without given it much thought.

After I messed up the upgrade to kernel 2.6.11, I
tried the grub command to find my old kernel. That's
when I found out that this partition was fat16,
because grub couldn't read it. By the way, it seems
that the kernel 2.6.11 from kernel.org doesn't like
the root=LABEL=/ parameter in the grub.conf.

I decided to do a new installation and format this
partition as ext2. After installation, "fdisk -l"
still says that the partition is fat16 (id 6).

Sincerely,

Frank

--- Pedro Fernandes Macedo