xorg-x11 error during FC3 installation

akonstam at trinity.edu akonstam at trinity.edu
Sun May 29 11:23:26 UTC 2005

On Sun, May 29, 2005 at 12:03:14AM -0700, Ramani Arunachalam wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I downloaded fc3 isos, burnt cds and started installing. But it gets
> stuck in between with the error "Unable to open xorg-x11-6.8.1.12" in
> disc2. I did check the md5sums after downloading. I used Nero to burn
> the CDs and did "linux mediacheck" on the first CD. I have tried
> burning another CD also for disc2 but it wouldn't help. The
> installation just halts there and there's no option to cancel. Is
> there any way to do mediacheck on disc2 before installing? Also, if
> anybody has faced this error before, could you pls tell me how you
> handled it?

When you start the install you are quickly asked if you want to do a
media check, After the mediacheck on the boot CD is completed you are
prompted as to whether you want to do a media check in another CD or to
skip this step. You can thus do media checks on all your CDs.

Now the unable to open a file problem is possibly hardware related. We
have all had that happen to us from time to time. It allows you to try
again and many times the second time succeeds but if it doesn't you
are stuck.

One solution that sometimes works is to install with the ide=nodma
option. Why this works is a mystery belonging to the ages. But as a
Tamil speaker you should be used to a life of hidden mysteries :-)
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University
telephone: (210)-999-7484