Core 3 install on sata 8237 disks fails

linux user linuxusr at cableone.net
Sun May 29 12:16:16 UTC 2005

> Hi
> I have just tried to install fedora core 3 64 bit on a system with via
> sata 8237 chipset and sata disk, and it failes 4 times.  I installed an
> alternative IDE disk and it worked fine.
>
> After installation from bootable DVD to the sata disk, a reboot fails to
> start the secondary install procedures (licence agrrement, date/time,
> video setup, user setup etc. The sata install just hangs at this point
> after the very first line in boot messages:
> Initializing hardware - storage  network  audio   >>> hang
> a control c gets past this, but then the disk system is read only and
> the boot fails.
>
> I see there was some discussion of this back in January 2004 on core 1
> and core 2 - but there still seems to be an issue with installation onto
> a sata disk on an 8237 controller.
>
> Have I missed something??

This is my hardware configuration.

Motherboard:	Gigabyte K8 Triton Micro ATX
			Socket 754 for AMD Athlon64 w/64-bit 3400+ CPU
			VIA VT8237 Chipset
			VIA K8M800 Chipset
				On-board UniChrome Pro Graphics S3 Pro IGP
Hard drive:		Seagate SATA 200GB hard drive
Monitor:		ViewSonic VG191 (LCD)

I have been unable to figure out the exact issue with the installation, but
it seems to be something with the graphics card or display.  This only
occurs with the Fedora Core 3 x86_64 installation, and I don't have a
solution.  The only alternative that I have found is installing Fedora Core
3 x86_32.  There are no issues with this installation and my hardware other
than it's less efficient using a 32-bit OS on a 64-bit system.