Resizing those partitions!

Richard Crawford rscrawford at mossroot.com
Sun May 29 13:24:15 UTC 2005

On Sunday 29 May 2005 03:00, Paul Howarth wrote:
> Why did you build the system with separate "fixed" partitions in
> addition to the main LVM partition? It's a shame, because if you had
> used LVM for everything (except /boot of course), it would be fairly
> easy to shuffle space about.

Why?  Because I had no idea what I was doing.  ;-)  Actually, I did know what
I was doing, but I had no idea what LVM was, so I just did what I'm used to
doing in Linux, which is messing with partitions.  But LVM looks very, very
nice and easy to use.  Relatively.

> I'd be inclined to (in rescue mode) move everything from your full
> 30G /var partition into the ample space you have in /, then
> change /dev/hda3 to a Linux LVM partition, and add that partition into
> VolGroup00. You could then, if you wished, create a new logical volume
> for /music and/or /var with the newly-available space in the volume
> group. You could also reduce size of the LogVol00 filesystem and volume
> to free up yet more space for additional volumes.
>
> The LVM HOWTO is well worth a read before doing anything as drastic as a
> reinstall.

Cool.  I'll definitely look this over.  I'll definitely back up the music
files and other important stuff before going this route, but I really
appreciate the hints.  Thanks.  Could I convert the other non-boot
directories to logical volumes as well?

--
Richard S. Crawford
http://www.mossroot.com