Grub drive order problem

av1 at ansae.com av1 at ansae.com
Sun May 29 17:10:41 UTC 2005

Just to clarify my previous post, my /boot/grub/device.map file says this

(fd0)	/dev/fd0
(hd0)	/dev/hda
(hd1)	/dev/hdb
(hd2)	/dev/sda
(hd3)	/dev/sdb

So the two IDE drives, hda and hdb are (hd0) and (hd1) as expected. If I run
the grub shell forom linux and do "find /grub/stage1" it says

(hd0,0)
(hd1,0)

also as expected. My two copies of grub are on /dev/hda1 and /dev/hdb1.

However, when I boot the machine, break out of the grub menu, go into the
grub shell, and type "find /grub/stage1", I get

(hd0,0)
(hd3,0)

So now grub thinks my 2nd ide drive is (hd3) not (hd1).

How do I fix this? Any advice appreciated!

 --Cliff Avey