How to install kernel source

James T. Carver jtcarver at skinartz.com
Mon May 30 00:19:01 UTC 2005

On Sunday 29 May 2005 01:12 pm, fedora-list-request at redhat.com wrote:
> Message: 4
> Date: Sun, 29 May 2005 11:33:00 -0700
> From: Glenn Story <glenn.story at gmail.com>
> Subject: How to install kernel source
> To: fedora-list at redhat.com
>
> I have downloaded the kernel source RPM.  I tried installing it with:
>
> rpm -i kernel-2.6.11-1.27_FC3.src.rpm
>
> It seems to work, but can't find any source. Where should I be looking?
>
> --
> Regards,
> Glenn

The rpm installs the source package in /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES.
however, it seems that the redhat source has a lot of patches in addition to
the kernel source itself.  The actual kernel is in the file
linux-2.6.11.tar.bz2 .  From the contents of the directory, you would need to
extract the kernel to "/usr/src/linux/" and apply the "linux-2.6.11-*"
patches before you run the configuration (I use make xconfig). I assume that
since redhat included the patches into the src package, you would need to
apply them to the src.

James