meta keys?

Jonathan Underwood j.underwood at open.ac.uk
Mon May 30 15:07:19 UTC 2005

K. Richard Pixley wrote:
> In redhat releases and in other operating systems, a default xterm
> window will provide me with a shell wherein <alt>-<delete> will backward
> delete a word, <alt>-b, will move the cursor backward a word, <alt>-f
> will move forward a word, etc.  That is, emacs editing mode works and
> acts on the meta keys.
>
> This doesn't work on fedora core 3, at least not out of the box.  Can
> anyone explain to me what I need to do to get my meta key editing back,
> please?  Or point me to relevant documentation that might help me figure
> out what's going on?

Thsi had me puzzled too. It turns out that the newer xterm code has
UTF-8 enabled by default. This screws up Alt-x in emacs running in an
xterm, for example, as it inserts a weird character. After some research
into this, this is what I settled on - place the following in
.Xresources in your home directory. Do look at the URL mentioned in the
comment though. Note also you'll have to do xrdb -merge .Xresources once
you've edited .Xresources.

!Quick fix for the Alt/Meta problem
!XTerm*metaSendsEscape: true

!Better fix for the Alt/Meta problem