Yum and EXTRAS

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon May 30 22:01:17 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-05-30 at 15:12, Andy Green wrote:

> There is one potential problem with Extras AIUI -- it does not offer
> Redhat's idea of Forbidden Fruits like mplayer.
>
> Considering the realities of being Redhat and having VC money that's
> probably a reasonable situation.  However AIUI Extras will not cooperate
> with the Dag/RPMforge repos for example, which do offer mplayer, about
> packaging decisions and conventions.  Therefore mixing packages from
> Extras and third-party repos potentially will generate conflicts in
> library names and so on.  (Of course one can say the same about all
> non-Fedora repos, except there is a willingness to cooperate on
> conventions amongst some other repos as shown by the RPMforge axis).
>
> Please correct me if I have the wrong idea, but that is my understanding
> and is so something to consider about taking packages from Extras.

I think the things at http://rpm.livna.org are built assuming that
you will also be using the fedora core and extras repositiories,
(and in fact won't work otherwise) where many of the other third
party repositories are still trying to maintain backwards
compatibility for their pre-fedora users that may still be doing
version upgrades.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell at gmail.com