Filling up linux partition

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Tue May 31 19:50:36 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-05-31 at 22:34 +0300, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> Hi all,
> I see that I have about 2 gigs of my 10 gig partition left. I went
> hunting for bloat and fund that /var is almost 2 gigs and /usr is
> almost 4! Does this sound reasonable for a desktop installation? I
> also found that /selinux 0 bytes big despite the fact that it does
> contain files and folders. And there is a /srv directory that is
> empty, along with /proc that is about 500 megs. What are /src and
> /proc? Should /usr and /var be so big?

/proc (probably /selinux too) is a virtual filesystem and takes no
space.

/var may be full of update packages if you use yum and don't
periodically do a "yum clean packages", or if you use up2date and don't
clear out the up2date cache directory from time to time.

I've no idea what /src is; I don't have one on any system here.

Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>