Upgrade to FC4 from FC3 without having to re download and then burn cds and recreate partition?

Jared Buck JBuck814366460 at aol.com
Tue May 31 20:02:43 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-05-31 at 15:59 -0400, Sam Johnson wrote:
> Hello,
> I am very excited about the soon release of Fedora Core 4.  However, I
> want to upgrade from Fedora Core 3 in an easier way than doing the
> procedure that is required for the first install you do, downloading
> all of the ISOs, then burning them to discs, and then use Disk Druid
> to erase partition (and all of my lovely data) and recreate it.
> I hear of alot of people saying that they upgraded, and am curious
> about how it is done.
>
> Thank you,
> --
> Sam Johnson
>
> Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot
> to the town gossip.
>   - Will Rogers

Upgrading's fairly easy.  When you install, FC4's installer will detect
a prior installation on your computer, and ask you if you want to
upgrade or reformat and do a clean install.  when you pick update, it
will copy only those packages needed to make FC3 turn into FC4,
retaining all your data without erasing :)

If you don't want to burn to CD, you can do a hard drive install,
although I'm not sure how that would be done, I've never done a HD
install before, and I'd like to do that for upgrading to FC4 so I don't
have to waste precious CD-Rs.

Can anyone enlighten me on how I'd do a hard drive install/upgrade to
FC4 when it comes out?

Jared