no certificates!

kwhiskers kwhiskers at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 00:43:09 UTC 2005

On 01/11/05, kwhiskers <kwhiskers at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 01/11/05, Andy Green <andy at warmcat.com> wrote:
>
> > kwhiskers wrote:
> > > I am trying to digitally sign a document in open office writer 2.0,
> > but
> > > no certificates are listed. I have pkcs12 (p12) certificates in
> > firefox,
> > > mozilla and konqueror, but not in open office.
> > >
> > > How do I import the certificates?
> >
> > Whiskers, I don't know the answer, but when I Googled for it yesterday
> > on your other mail I became intrigued myself and am interested in it :-)
> > The OO help was no use and the UI does not allow cert import. Do you
> > use KDE as I do? Possibly there is a special Gnome place for certs that
> > OO assumes you use?
> >
> > -Andy
> >

> > --
> >

> Yes, I use KDE.
>
> I checked out the oooforum.org <http://oooforum.org> threads on the
> problem and they claim they have solved it. They say to install the
> certificate into mozilla, firefox and thunderbird (if installed), and better
> yet, to install in only one of these and make sympolic links to the others,
> so as not to have unsyncronized certificate caches. I have done this. I also
> installed the certificate into konqueror without problem.
>
> However, it is not visible in openoffice 2.0.
>
> Perhaps you're onto something, about gnome putting them somewhere else. I
> had unconsciously been heading in that direction myself without realizing
> it, having even put my certificate into
> /etc/pki/certificatesorsomethingdirectory, thinking that this pki has
> something to do with certificates, for rpm and yum, I presume, but all to no
> avail.
>
> I will boot into gnome when I get home and see if I can find something.
>
> Any ideas?

I thought poking around in Gnome might provide a clue. It didn't. The only
application that seemed even remotely to have a place for certificates was
the keyring manager (that always crashes in kde and is, hence, kind of a
mystery to me).

It doesn't crash in gnome, starts up with a mysterious entry called session,
and one is told that it is somehow nonstandard and that is all. There is no
import facility for certificates or for signatures here.

Then I thought, perhaps look at evolution... Sure enough, evolution will
import both gnupg signatures and so-called netscape certificates, ie, pkcs12
files. Worked like a charm, and full of renewed optimism, ran openoffice
writer 2.0, and...

Nothing.

Same as before.