xset: bad font path element

kwhiskers kwhiskers at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 21:37:23 UTC 2005

* xset: bad font path element (#63), possible causes are:
Directory does not exist or has wrong permissions
Directory missing fonts.dir
Incorrect font server address or syntax

*What is this error that is constantly in my xsession-errors file?
I have the same permissions on all my font directories, ie, unchanged from
how they were when I installed the system.
I have the same permissions on all my fonts, ie, unchanged from default,
which I think was 644 (I am not home to check right now)
I have xorg.conf set up with the font server left ecactly like it was
originallly, I think unix:/7100
I have a fonts.dir in every directory, except for the one containing the
postscript .gz fonts, because mkfontdir won't handle these (but when I
removed them form my paths in /etc/X11/fs/config, the error was still there)

There is a whole lot of discussion about this error on google. Thousands of
questions but not one answer.

What is it?*
*