Remote X problem

Greg Trounson gregt at maths.otago.ac.nz
Thu Nov 3 01:33:00 UTC 2005

I have two Fedora Core boxes here (one FC3 and the other FC4).

On either of them I can do the following:
On machine1:
xhost +machine2;

On machine2:
export DISPLAY=machine1:0
xterm &

At which point an xterm should appear on machine1, right?

Wrong.  Well, it always used to, right up until I guess FC2.  But that
no longer seems to be the case.  Instead I get:

xterm Xt error: Can't open display: machine1:0

What has changed?  How can I get remote X programs to work?

I can do this partially by tunnelling through ssh (ssh -X machine2), but
that is stopped dead in its tracks if I su to another account (eg root).

thanks,
Greg

--
  Analyst Programmer / System Administrator