Setup Internal caching DNS Server

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sun Nov 13 16:52:24 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-11-13 at 10:16 -0500, Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu wrote:
> On Sat, 2005-12-11 at 17:35 +1030, Tim wrote:
> > Though, does that mean that you can't answer DNS queries from the net,
> > for outsiders wanting your DNS information?  Or they've made it
> > impossible to run your own resolver, so you can resolve names for
> > yourself?  They're two entirely different things.
>
> Rogers hasn't blocked anything - we're running a DNS server right now
> for our domains.  It's just that Rogers' "user agreement" states DNS
> servers are not allowed on their network.  Whether they're
> distinguishing between the different types is not known, though I
> suspect not.
----
I'm sure that they don't want residential accounts providing DNS
services to public ip addresses, what you do on your private lan space
is of no consequence or interest to them. On a business account, if you
are wanting to provide DNS to public ip_addresses and you are not clear
if that is permitted, all you need to do is ask them for clarification
whether that is suitable for the account you have. The cable providers
in the US don't put restrictions on business accounts.

Craig

believed to be clean.