Sync a Treo 650 with Fedora Core 3

kevin.kempter at dataintellect.com kevin.kempter at dataintellect.com
Wed Nov 16 15:45:50 UTC 2005

On Tuesday 15 November 2005 17:25, Craig White wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-11-15 at 11:08 -0500, kevin.kempter at dataintellect.com
>
> wrote:
> > On Monday 14 November 2005 20:02, Craig White wrote:

> > > ----
> > > see archives of this list from Oct 4 & 5 - thread 'udev Treo 650 - FC3'
> > > in which you participated. It covered pilot-xfer & gpilotd but kpilot
> > > shouldn't present any additional challenges.
> > >
> > > Craig
> > >

> > > --
> > > This message has been scanned for viruses and
> > > dangerous content by MailScanner, and is
> > > believed to be clean.
> >
> > I've tried everything in the previous thread with no luck. Below is a
> > listing from  /var/log/messages. Any further help would be much
> > appreciated, it seems to be connecting however kpilot times out every
> > time.
> >
> > Nov 15 10:38:24 Issac kernel: usb 3-1: new full speed USB device using
> > uhci_hcd and address 2
> > Nov 15 10:38:26 Issac kernel: usbcore: registered new driver usbserial
> > Nov 15 10:38:26 Issac kernel: drivers/usb/serial/usb-serial.c: USB Serial
> > support registered for Generic
> > Nov 15 10:38:26 Issac kernel: usbcore: registered new driver
> > usbserial_generic Nov 15 10:38:26 Issac kernel:
> > drivers/usb/serial/usb-serial.c: USB Serial Driver core v2.0
> > Nov 15 10:38:26 Issac kernel: drivers/usb/serial/usb-serial.c: USB Serial
> > support registered for Handspring Visor / Palm OS
> > Nov 15 10:38:26 Issac kernel: drivers/usb/serial/usb-serial.c: USB Serial
> > support registered for Sony Clie 3.5
> > Nov 15 10:38:26 Issac kernel: drivers/usb/serial/usb-serial.c: USB Serial
> > support registered for Sony Clie 5.0
> > Nov 15 10:38:26 Issac kernel: visor 3-1:1.0: Handspring Visor / Palm OS
> > converter detected
> > Nov 15 10:38:26 Issac kernel: usb 3-1: Handspring Visor / Palm OS
> > converter now attached to ttyUSB0
> > Nov 15 10:38:26 Issac kernel: usb 3-1: Handspring Visor / Palm OS
> > converter now attached to ttyUSB1
> > Nov 15 10:38:26 Issac kernel: usbcore: registered new driver visor
>
> ----
> I am certain that my suggestion was to ignore udev and make a node
> in /tmp for the pilot and use that to connect instead of any nodes that
> udev might create.
>
> Craig
>

> --
> believed to be clean.

Hi Craig;

I tried the instructions from your final solved post with no luck. I can make
the node ok but pilot-xfer complains that no port for -p was provided even
though I supply /tmp/pilot for the -p.

Here's what I get :
pilot-xfer  -L -p /tmp/pilot
   No $PILOTPORT specified and no -p <port> given.
   Defaulting to '/dev/pilot'
   ERROR: No such file or directory (2)

   Error accessing: '/dev/pilot'. Does '/dev/pilot' exist?
   Please use --help for more information

Also, I am still trying to get the udev bit to work. Here's some more info,
maybe someone can point me in the right direction ?

my /etc/udev/permissions.d/10-visor.permissions file has this content:
ttyUSB1:$local:uucp:0660

my /etc/udev/rules.d/10-visor.rules file has this content:
BUS="usb",KERNEL="ttyUSB[13579]",SYMLINK="pilot"

my /usr/share/gnome-pilot/devices.xml file contains these palm related etries:
<!-- Handspring -->

<!-- Handspring Visor and Treo 300 -->
<device vendor_id="082d" product_id="0100" use_net="false"/>
<!-- Handspring Treo -->
<device vendor_id="082d" product_id="0200" />
<!-- Handspring Treo 600 -->
<device vendor_id="082d" product_id="0300" />
<!-- Treo 650 -->
<device vendor_id="0830" product_id="0061" />

I've been trying to run gpilotd-control-applet (which is the gnome-pilot tool
in evolution)
I bring up the tool and for the cradle settings I set the following:
Port: /dev/ttyUSB1
speed: 19200
Timeout: 30

I select the USB selection for Type and click forward.
Then I check that I have not sync'd with this device before and enter a
username for the device
after I choose forward I see the message "About to send the following data to
the pilot:
Username: kkempter
ID: 500
Please put pilot in cradle (/dev/ttyUSB1) and press hot sync button

I press the hot sync button and here's what I see:
via a tail -f /var/log/messages I get this:
Nov 15 12:50:04 Issac kernel: usb 2-1: new full speed USB device using
uhci_hcd and address 2
Nov 15 12:50:07 Issac kernel: usbcore: registered new driver usbserial
Nov 15 12:50:07 Issac kernel: drivers/usb/serial/usb-serial.c: USB Serial
support registered for Generic
Nov 15 12:50:07 Issac kernel: usbcore: registered new driver usbserial_generic
Nov 15 12:50:07 Issac kernel: drivers/usb/serial/usb-serial.c: USB Serial
Driver core v2.0
Nov 15 12:50:07 Issac kernel: drivers/usb/serial/usb-serial.c: USB Serial
support registered for Handspring Visor / Palm OS
Nov 15 12:50:07 Issac kernel: drivers/usb/serial/usb-serial.c: USB Serial
support registered for Sony Clie 3.5
Nov 15 12:50:07 Issac kernel: drivers/usb/serial/usb-serial.c: USB Serial
support registered for Sony Clie 5.0
Nov 15 12:50:07 Issac kernel: visor 2-1:1.0: Handspring Visor / Palm OS
converter detected
Nov 15 12:50:07 Issac kernel: usb 2-1: Handspring Visor / Palm OS converter
now attached to ttyUSB0
Nov 15 12:50:07 Issac kernel: usb 2-1: Handspring Visor / Palm OS converter
now attached to ttyUSB1
Nov 15 12:50:07 Issac kernel: usbcore: registered new driver visor
Nov 15 12:50:07 Issac kernel: drivers/usb/serial/visor.c: USB HandSpring
Visor / Palm OS driver v2.1

dmesg shows this:
usb 2-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 2
usbcore: registered new driver usbserial
drivers/usb/serial/usb-serial.c: USB Serial support registered for Generic
usbcore: registered new driver usbserial_generic
drivers/usb/serial/usb-serial.c: USB Serial Driver core v2.0
drivers/usb/serial/usb-serial.c: USB Serial support registered for Handspring
Visor / Palm OS
drivers/usb/serial/usb-serial.c: USB Serial support registered for Sony Clie
3.5
drivers/usb/serial/usb-serial.c: USB Serial support registered for Sony Clie
5.0
visor 2-1:1.0: Handspring Visor / Palm OS converter detected
usb 2-1: Handspring Visor / Palm OS converter now attached to ttyUSB0
usb 2-1: Handspring Visor / Palm OS converter now attached to ttyUSB1
usbcore: registered new driver visor
drivers/usb/serial/visor.c: USB HandSpring Visor / Palm OS driver v2.1

and I ran an ls -l /dev/*USB*
crw-rw---- 1 root uucp 188, 0 Nov 15 12:50 /dev/ttyUSB0
crw------- 1 kkempter uucp 188, 1 Nov 15 12:50 /dev/ttyUSB1

It seems that the permissions for the USB1 device are not as expected.
However I'm not sure that this is the issue since I don't see any error
messages in /var/log/messages.

At this point the device tries to connect to the desktop and eventually times
out.
The gnome pilot tool seems unaware of any pilot activity - it just hangs there
waiting
until I cancel. The tool was run from the command line and I see this output
however the entire listing shows up
immediately upon starting the tool. None of the info is new once I press the
hotsync button on the treo 650.

** Message: No pilot userid/username information located
** Message: Unable to load pilot id/username, assuming unset
** Message: No pilot cradle information located
** Message: Unable to load pilot cradle info, assuming unset
gpilotd-Message: Activating object OAFIID:GNOME_Pilot_Daemon
** Message: No pilot userid/username information located
** Message: Unable to load pilot id/username, assuming unset
** Message: No pilot cradle information located
** Message: Unable to load pilot cradle info, assuming unset
** Message: No pilot userid/username information located
** Message: Unable to load pilot id/username, assuming unset
** Message: No pilot cradle information located
** Message: Unable to load pilot cradle info, assuming unset

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer...

/Kevin

Your Mouse Has Moved !
Windows must restart to affect the change(s)

Reboot Now [Y/y]