command to invoke bittorrent?

Kenneth Porter shiva at sewingwitch.com
Wed Nov 23 20:48:53 UTC 2005

--On Wednesday, November 23, 2005 7:47 PM +0100 Zubin Bharucha
<z.bharucha at iu-bremen.de> wrote:

> I think BT uses ports 6881 through 6889 by default. On your router, open
> up any port in that range and specify it to be UDP.

I asked about this recently on the bt developers list at ibiblio. Only the
oldest clients use a range of ports. The newer ones can listen on a single
port for connections.

I agree with John Wendel, use a random high port to avoid simple-minded ISP
blocking. The tracker will be notified of which port you've chosen, so that
other clients can find you.

ISP's may not totally block. Instead, they may "shape" (throttle) your BT
traffic, to give priority to web users, who are their bread-and-butter
customers and the ones most likely to cut into the bottom line if their
"experience" suffers.