Getting a text file rid of all superfluous blank lines

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Wed Nov 30 15:45:06 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-11-30 at 15:01 +0000, Paul Smith wrote:
> Rodolfo's technique works fine for me. It reduced about
> 40Kb of a HTML document produced by NVU. I do not know why, but NVU
> seems to add blocks of blank lines, drastically increasing the size of
> the document.

NVU adds 40Kb to a file just from blank lines?  40,000 blank lines?  How
big's the document, overall?

Personally, I use tidy on HTML files.  Though you have to use it with
some care.  It'll remove   character entities if they're ANYWHERE
on the page in or *after* a PRE element.  And mangles some other
character entities, too (e.g. × can get translated into garbage).
If I know I haven't used them in a document, I'll use tidy on it.  It
also tidies up a few silly authoring errors (like not closing p tags,
etc.).

I read messages from the public lists.