[OT] Recommendation for ThinkPad

Kevin Kempter kevin.kempter at dataintellect.com
Tue Nov 1 16:05:23 UTC 2005

----  <jlee at pbu.edu> wrote:

> Travis Fraser wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I have been needing a new laptop, and the ThinkPads seem to have good
> > Linux support. I am leaning toward a T42 with the ATI radeon graphics
> > card. Does anybody know of things that will/won't work on the T42?
>
> http://www.google.com/search?q=fc4+t42
>
> gives:
>
> http://www.ces.clemson.edu/linux/fc4_setup.shtml
> http://www.cs.washington.edu/homes/klee/nix/thinkpad-t42/
> http://statgen.ncsu.edu/~jdstarme/fc4_xp_on_t42.txt
>
> and many more pages describing user experiences with FC4 and a T42.
>
> Jay
> --
> Jay Lee
> Network / Systems Administrator
> Information Technology Dept.
> Philadelphia Biblical University
> --
>
> --

I haven't used a thinkpad in years. However I would highly recommend the Sony Vaio VGN-S260. I have FC3 running on it currently and all the HW works except for the built-in memory stick reader. The centrino wireless works great with the ipw2200 package and the machine runs extremely well. I have it loaded up with Informix, Postgresql and a lot of data (>10Gig) with no issues so far. I also run open office, data architect, and most of the out of the box software.