Linux killer!

STYMA, ROBERT E (ROBERT) stymar at lucent.com
Tue Nov 1 16:21:49 UTC 2005

Tim:

> Though there are cases, and this seems like one of them, where this is
> next to impossible.  Not because Linux can't do the task, but because
> the server deliberately excludes clients.  There's any number of
> internet services which are deliberately designed to only work with
> Windows, for no good reason.  Not *just* because they can't figure out
> how to support everyone, but sometimes because they want to be
> deliberately obstructive.

> I'm not so sure that Linux even wants to be a direct replacement for
> Windows, just a viable alternative for those who want it.
> For those who
> want Windows, there is Windows.

A fair number of people would like to see Linux make inroads into
the business desktop arena.  As PC's became popular in the 1980's
Windows had a leg up on the competitors like OS2 because of their
popularity in the consumer market.  Unix's were popular among those
who were educated in technical fields because it was freely available
to universities.  Inroads made in the consumer market may help
Linux in the business desktop.  If nothing else, the lessons learned
in this area will make Linux more polished.

I agree with your statements about companies being deliberately obstructive.
Microsoft has good reason to be obstructive.  Also companies like
Symantec, Network Associates (McAfee), and other companies who make
their business working around flaws in Windows have good reason to
see Linux not grow.

Bob Styma