FC4 does not work, "out of the box" for me; GUI/X11 fails

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Nov 1 16:31:20 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-10-31 at 23:56, Tim wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-10-31 at 08:26 -0700, Robin Laing wrote:
> > I actually read an interview with one of the nVidia head honcho's and
> > this issue was raised.  Due to licensing restrictions placed on them
> > by chip manufacturers and other coders, they cannot release any code.
>
> This sounds like a cop out.  They're the ones in a position to dictate
> terms to their coders and chip suppliers.
>
> Who else but to nVidia can a chipset manufacturer sell custom nVidia
> chips?

Ummm, the cheap generic competior that can undercut nVidia's pricing
with a knock-off since they don't have to develop anything.

> And they'll be selling generic chips to any manufacturer, so
> what's to hide in that regards.

If they give away their trade secrets it will be some other manufacturer
selling those chips too.

> Write code for nVidia, and you obey their directives.  Be difficult, go
> and write for someone else.

Give away your secrets, go out of business.

I like open source, but it should be a matter of choice whether you
give your work away or not.  We need a way to let them keep that
freedom of choice while still being able to use their product. They
are going to a great effort trying to give away free binaries yet
the OS distribution continues to make it difficult for them.

--
  Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com