Apache: httpd; apachectl status and fullstatus. [FrontPage install fails]

Daniel B. Thurman dant at cdkkt.com
Tue Nov 1 19:38:42 UTC 2005

OK, I changed the <Location /server-status> section and
allowed everyone to access it and note that the apachectl
command does work.  I tried to install FrontPage and it still
fails.  Rats.  As far as why I cannot get server-status to work
"out of the box" is not my current issue I will leave it to those
who care.

For those who want details of the failed FP installation:

Where is the current apache control file (apachectl) located: []/usr/sbin/apachectl
Currently running Apache/
Checking for previous versions of FrontPage Server Extensions to upgrade...
You have no previous versions of FrontPage Server Extensions installed.
There are no settings to migrate!

For Apache 2.0, FrontPage requires Apache version  or later.
Please first upgrade to Apache 2.0.40 or later, with mod_so.

OK - I figured it out.

To install FP on FC4:

1) Follow instructions in: http://www.howtoforge.com/linux_apache2_frontpage2002
   but do not install the fp product until these steps
   are first performed:

   a) Edit /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf
      1) Look for the Listen *:80, change it to 80
      2) Comment out default Virtual Host: <VirtualHost *> ... </VirtualHost>
   b) Rename or delete: /var/www/html/auth/.htaccess file if exist.
   c) Get previous version's apachectl shell-script file.  I used FC2's script.
      Current script apparently is either broken or changed so that
      behavior is different.  apachectl -v start for example does
      not return any version information, for example and the fp script
      requires it.
2) Complete the rest of the installation instructions from (1) above.
3) You might want to uncomment the <VirtualHost *> ... </VirtualHost>
   block, but I am testing to see of that will cause any problems.  It
   shouldn't but I don't know.  If it does, comment it back out.

I think that covers it...

Dan