OT - Please Help with sane / scanner

Michael Wiktowy mwiktowy at gmx.net
Tue Nov 1 21:41:14 UTC 2005

Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 18:01:25 -0700
From: kevin.kempter at dataintellect.com

>Hi List ;
>
>I bought a Plustek OpticSlim M12 sheetfeed usb scanner.
>If I run sane-find-scanner I see the following:
>found USB scanner (vendor=0x07b3, product=0x0412 [600dpi USB Scanner],
>chip=GT-6816?) at libusb:002:004
>  # Your USB scanner was (probably) detected. It may or may not be supported
>by
>  # SANE. Try scanimage -L and read the backend's manpage.
>
>However if I run scanimage -L I get this:
>No scanners were identified. If you were expecting something different,
>check that the scanner is plugged in, turned on and detected by the
>sane-find-scanner tool (if appropriate). Please read the documentation
>which came with this software (README, FAQ, manpages).
>
>I dont know where to go from here...
>
>Thanks in advance for any help

If you check out the SANE Projects Supported Devices list here:
http://www.sane-project.org/sane-mfgs.html#Z-PLUSTEK
It looks like your scanner is not supported ... yet.
Since there is some similarity with other scanners from Plustek, it
looks like it may be supported in the near future but there is no way of
telling how near that future will be.
You could try uncommenting the backend in dll.conf that is indicated to
be similar (sane-gt68xx
<http://www.sane-project.org/man/sane-gt68xx.5.html>) but it is known to
not *specifically* encompass your chipset ... but you could get lucky
and get partial functionality.
If all else fails, file a bug report with the SANE project requesting
your chipset to be supported and provide them some details of your
hardware if asked.
http://www.sane-project.org/bugs.html

/Mike