internet access via a wireless phone ?

Michael H. Warfield mhw at wittsend.com
Tue Nov 1 22:56:06 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-11-01 at 16:14 -0500, Travis Fraser wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-11-01 at 15:54 -0500, Kevin Kempter wrote:
> > Hi List;
> >
> > I'm working at a client site which has decided to take extreme measures so they can continue to use insecure M$ products. The latest is that they have shut down virtually all external internet access outside of their intranet.

> > Is there a way I could use my treo phone to allow my laptop running FC3 to connect to the internet ?

> Treo 650 and bluetooth. A friend of mine connects through that with his
> laptop.

	Yeah, works great with Sprint's unlimited data service (don't abuse it
or they might make ugly noises).  Initial latency isn't the greatest but
I really HAVE seen through-puts as has as 144K Baud (2B+D speed) and
higher now in some areas with their "broadband" deployment.

	IIRC...  The GSM varients (Sprint is CDMA) are not quite as snappy
(~56K) but several providers are rolling out faster cell access now.
Just that the high speed spots are, err, rather, ahhh, spotty (yeah,
spotty, that's the word for it, spotty).  :-/

	Only gotcha I ran into (and it drove me NUTS for days) is that if I set
"encrypt enable" in /etc/bluetooth/hcid.conf I get an immediate
"connection reset by peer" when I try and bring up PPP.  Some of the
howto's on the net say to set that to enable, but it's never worked for
me.  Don't know if it's the little USB bluetooth dongle I'm using or the
Sprint firmware or what.  So, what I'm saying, is to be prepared to play
with the bluetooth settings to get it to work the first time.

> --
> Travis Fraser <travis at snowpatch.net>

	Mike
  /\/\|=mhw=|\/\/       |  (678) 463-0932   |  http://www.wittsend.com/mhw/