Windows install disc can't see my FC4 partitions

Anil Kumar Sharma xplusaks at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 08:03:48 UTC 2005

Sharing the disk by various flavors of OS has no fully working standard (as
it is supposed to be).
So as a rule, do not create partitions for other OS. Just leave free space
for the other OS to fend for itself. That is because every OS has means for
creating partitions conforming to common standard (of disk sharing) but not
fully conforming to other OS.
In the *nix world partitions are preferentially made with CHS geometry. This
is better from multiple points of views but is not a must.
BTW, 1024 Cyl restriction is mostly archived in this world of (sub-)
terrabytes.
Windows does not follow CHS geometry but follows address-ability on disc to
make (size) partitions. So use it, as it works.
Again as a rule, whenever installing windows, start with free space on disc
that is preferably addressable by bios, rather than a pre-made partition
table declaring an open (free partition). U may be lucky if windows setup
recognise your free partition made under Linux and chances are.
There are other advance means of disc usages/sharing than just partitions.

 On 11/2/05, Ken Schutte <kschutte at csail.mit.edu> wrote:

> Michael Wiktowy wrote:
> > Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2005 01:19:33 -0500
> > From: Ken Schutte <kschutte at csail.mit.edu>
> >
> >>I need to setup a dual boot system on my x40 Thinkpad laptop. I've done
> >>it without problems before, but this time I have FC4 installed first,
> >>and now want to add a Windows XP partition. On intial FC4 setup, I used
> >>disk druid and kept some open space, then later used qtparted in knoppix
> >>to create an NTFS partition. Currently fdisk -l shows:
> >>
> >>Disk /dev/hda: 40.0 GB, 40007761920 bytes
> >>255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 4864 cylinders
> >>Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
> >>
> >> Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
> >>/dev/hda1 * 1 13 104391 83 Linux
> >>/dev/hda2 14 3582 28667992+ 83 Linux
> >>/dev/hda3 3583 3647 522112+ 82 Linux swap / Solaris
> >>/dev/hda4 3648 4864 9775552+ 7 HPFS/NTFS
> >>
> >>When I try to boot from a Windows XP disc to install Windows, it quickly
> >>flashes some text saying something like "please wait while checks your
> >>system...", then the screen is blank and nothing happens and I have to
> >>just reset. Should I be able to boot and install from a WinXP disc
> >>given that partition table?
> >>
> >>Sorry if this it a bit of a windows question, but all these partions
> >>were created in linux, so maybe somebody could help.
> >>
> >>Thanks!
> >>Ken
> >>

> > Try deleting your primary partition 4 (/dev/hda4) with something like
> > fdisk and just leave the free space.
>
> This is what I tried first, and the same thing happened. That's when I
> thought I'd try to see if it liked an NTFS partition there instead...
>
> I think at this point, I'm thinking it'll be easiest to just just
> starting over with WinXP first. Thanks.
>
> Ken
>
> --

Anil Kumar Shrama