Why Fedora ?

Derek Martin code at pizzashack.org
Wed Nov 2 16:17:03 UTC 2005

On Wed, Nov 02, 2005 at 10:51:27AM +0530, Vikram Goyal wrote:
> Then came fedora with its bag of problems. Most of the users like me
> thought , ok, maybe in one or two release it will also reach the same
> level of comfort as redhat 8, 9. But that never happened.

And it probably never will.  Fedora is meant to be a cutting-edge
testbed for RH enterprise-level distributions.  This is both good and
bad, depending on your perspective.  As others have said, if you need
a stable desktop environment, most likely you really should be looking
elsewhere.

> One good example is file browser. In 8,9 ver one could do almost all
> acts in the same browser window. There was preferences tab with all the
> nitty-gritty settings which a user might want to tweak. The comfort
> level was great. Then came nautilus. File browser was put in the
> system-tools. Its preferences tab removed. Now for each setting one has
> to click Desktop -> Preferences -> the particular preference, which in
> my opinion sucks. This is only one example, and there are numerous.

There have been many arguments about this kind of thing on the
gnome-usability mailing list (and other gnome-related lists too I
would imagine).  This is not a problem with Fedora per se; the gnome
UI designers have issues.  They keep making things worse, not better,
all the while telling you that you're just doing it wrong.  The
computer is supposed to work the way *I* want, not the other way
around...

--
Derek D. Martin
http://www.pizzashack.org/