FC4 does not work, "out of the box" for me; GUI/X11 fails

Derek Martin code at pizzashack.org
Wed Nov 2 17:01:22 UTC 2005

On Wed, Nov 02, 2005 at 09:43:44AM -0700, Robin Laing wrote:
> I don't have any crashes with the nVidia drivers.  My uptimes are
> based on kernel update releases plus a few weeks (I am slow to reboot).

That's nice to hear. ;-)  But just because one person does not
experience problems, or 10 people, or 10,000 people, does not mean the
thing is not broken.  Lots of people DO have crashes.

I have a driver that works for me, mostly.  Occasionally when I boot,
the display locks up -- the machine doesn't crash, but I still can't
really use it.  Often, when I shut the machine down, the display
changes to something that reminds me of Yar's Revenge, and the machine
fails to shut down cleanly.  It has behaved this way with every
version of the kernel I've installed.  As for the latest version of
the drivers, they just don't work for me at all.  The display never
initializes properly, leaving the machine (my laptop) essentially
unusable.

--
Derek D. Martin
http://www.pizzashack.org/