Remote Desktops (VNC) - have some problems...

Daniel B. Thurman dant at cdkkt.com
Wed Nov 2 18:13:09 UTC 2005

Using a remote desktop environment (VNC), I do get the GUI
desktop to appear and for the most part it works well, but there
are some issues listed below. I am currently using the GNOME
environment.

Issue #1: The desktop menus are not available for at least 15-45
seconds after desktop window appears ready to use.  This was
not a problem in FC1 through FC3 and is much slower in FC4.
I am using the same hardware for FC1 through FC4.

Issue #2: Some application will not appear (or pop up it's
application window), especially where security credentials
are required.

Examples are: Services and Samba in
Desktop->System Settings menu

I tried to bring up the above applications both as a root user and
as a regular user.  The difference between root and a regular user
is the non-root user is required to provide security credentials via
security dialog when it appears.  In both cases, no application
window will appear for the application selected. There are no messages
given as to why the application will not appear.

At this point, I will need to go to the console directly or use the command
line to do what I need to do.  I just wanted to point this out so that
perhaps these issues might be resolved.

Kind regards,
Dan