still struggling with ndiswrapper

James Pifer jep at obrien-pifer.com
Wed Nov 2 22:04:08 UTC 2005

> Okay, now I'm running a kernel with 16k stacks. I also loaded
> ndiswrapper 1.5.
>
> I can load everything like this:
>
> ndiswrapper -i /install/ndiswrapper/broadcom/bcmwl5.inf
> /sbin/modprobe ndiswrapper
> /sbin/iwconfig wlan0 mode Managed
> /sbin/iwconfig wlan0 key my_key_goes_here
> /sbin/iwconfig wlan0 essid my_ssid_goes_here
> /sbin/ifconfig wlan0 192.168.1.25 netmask 255.255.255.0 up

One more thing. If I run iwconfig after running the above commands I get
this:

wlan0     IEEE 802.11g  ESSID:off/any
          Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.462 GHz  Access Point:
00:00:00:00:00:00
          Bit Rate:54 Mb/s   Tx-Power:25 dBm
          RTS thr:2347 B   Fragment thr:2346 B
          Encryption key:off
          Power Management:off
          Link Quality:0  Signal level:0  Noise level:0

It doesn't show the ESSID, says Encryption is off, and Access Point
address of 00:00:00:00:00:00.

I assume these settings are part of my problem. Why didn't the settings
"take"? Anyone know what I am doing wrong?

Thanks,
James