DVD: mencoder compression.

Strong s-strong at mail.ru
Thu Nov 3 10:37:08 UTC 2005

Я rip titles from DVD (as I have learned with the very good parameters)
this way:

$ mencoder dvd://3 -sws 2 -oac copy -ovc lavc -lavcopts
vcodec=mpeg4:mbd=2:vbitrate=1800:vpass=1 -vf crop=854:355:0:62,scale=854
-o movie.avi

But get at least 3 problems:
. mplayer shows picture with the width=854, while mencoder (if I use not
scale=854), compresses it with width=720. - Why?
. In the frames of a lot of movement I noticed the picture is covered
with VERY BIG squares! While at the scenes of a little movement, the
picture is quiet well.
. As I try to do make second pass (the same command differs in vpass=2
only), - as I understood, for the better quality - the more passes, the
better picture is - in my case quality becomes worse and not better!

So, if any comment, suggestions, please share them with me.

I have mplayer-1.0-0.16.pre7.2.fc4 that I made out of src.rpm.
Thank You!

--
Best regards,
Strong.