Kernel version x device problems

Marcelo Magno T. Sales marcelo.sales at sefaz.pe.gov.br
Thu Nov 3 13:26:51 UTC 2005

Hi, people

I run FC4 on a system with a ASUS K8VX motherboard and a ATI
All-In-Wonder 9000 pro video card. I've noticed today that ATI drivers
(RPMs downloaded from livna) are no longer working. I'm using kernel
2.6.12-1.1456_FC4 and the following messages are logged at boot time:

[fglrx] module loaded - fglrx 8.16.20 [Aug 16 2005] on minor 0
[fglrx:firegl_unlock] *ERROR* Process 2930 using kernel context 0

The number of the process changes every boot, but the process is always
/usr/X11R6/bin/X.
However, the drivers were working before, with this kernel version and
with the preceding ones too. I didn't notice when the drivers stopped
working, so I don't know after which update they began to fail.
If I update the kernel to one of the available 2.6.13-*, the ATI drivers
work ok. However, both the onboard sound and ethernet stop working (!).
Any clues? Anyone else with similar problems with kernels 2.6.13 and
ASUS K8VX onboard devices?

Thanks,

Marcelo