still struggling with ndiswrapper

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Thu Nov 3 13:51:14 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-11-02 at 19:45 -0500, James Pifer wrote:

> > Other things that might interfere are mode, channel (I think 1-12, but 6
> > is usually the default for the AP), and maybe others.
> > I usually try to get the connection without encryption, then enable
> > encryption later.
>
> Woo-hoo. It made a connection when I turned WEP off. Now the question is
> what am I doing wrong with that? I know I have the key right on the
> command line. I have my router setup to use 128bit WEP. When I look at
> iwconfig, it does look kind of funny, because it shows the key split
> into groups of 4, like abcd-wxyz-1234 etc, and it ends with just two
> characters after the last dash.

The key entry in keys-wlan0 should be like
	KEY='the_entire_key_here'

the key must be exactly as displayed in the AP with no abcd-efgh-  type
structure.  It is case sensitive and must be the exact number of
characters (yes, the - is a character).  I use copy/paste with my web
browser interface to the AP to capture it and put it into the
configuration file for the adapter.