Semi-OT: VNC Alternatives.

Gilboa Davara gilboada at netvision.net.il
Thu Nov 3 14:16:21 UTC 2005

Hello list,

I need help.
I'm trying to help my Windows-using-coworkers access my Linux (FC, CENT,
RHEL) farm from their Windows (yuck!) desktops and I'm a bit stuck.

My initial thought was VNC. I've created a couple of VNC accounts on
each server and configured each of accounts to run KDE.
Amazingly enough, the solution seem to be working just fine (considering
the number of active KDE sessions) but soon enough, I started getting
Windows client disconnect errors which do not seem to relate to server
load and/or network load. I tried alternating the Windows client (from
RealVNC to UltraVNC) the problem remained. Plus, VNC still has that
annoying lag, even on switched GbE network.
I tried cygwin/X based solution. But cygwin/X is getting severe tearing
and update problems  (both under SSH/tunneling and xdmcp session) which
renders it too unstable in my eyes.
Next came X-Deep32 which works ~OK when combined with SSH tunneling but
I can't seem to get it to create an xdmcp session.

I can go with the Uber-solution (get Exceed for each workstation) but I
rather not scare my boss with >500$ per workstation licensing fee. At
least not now.

Any ideas?
Gilboa