Semi-OT: VNC Alternatives.

Gilboa Davara gilboada at netvision.net.il
Thu Nov 3 16:34:07 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-11-03 at 10:15 -0600, Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-11-03 at 08:54, Gilboa Davara wrote:
> > I'm trying to ease the pain of using Linux.
> > If I choose the tunnel-over-SSH with X-forwarding option, the first
> > Windows they'll see will be an empty terminal window instead of looking
> > at a full-blow-Windows-like UI.
> > I really don't want to scare them off.
>
> There are several choices, the nicest at the moment probably being
> freenx on the Linux side and the windows nxclient which is a free
> download from http://www.nomachine.com.  Be sure you find all of
> the setup instructions because at least some of the freenx packages
> generate a unique key for the initial login that must be installed
> on each client (it uses ssh as the nx user for the initial connection
> to authenticate as the actual user).   Basically this is a proxy
> X connection but faster and more efficient than VNC.

Already tried it.
I couldn't find x86-64 RPMs and when I try to build the source RPMs I
get build errors.
When I have some free time, I'll download the source tgz and try to
solve the build errors.

> You can also run Cygwin X on the windows side, and either run the
> full Linux desktop from Linux by enabling XDCMP (run gdmconfig) and
> starting X with 'Xwin -query server', or you can run individual apps
> in what look like individual MS windows by using (from a cygwin bash
> shell):
> export DISPLAY=:0
> Xwin -multiwindow &
> ssh -Y user at server
>   log in, start program by typing its name
>   window should open on local desktop
> If you set up passwordless ssh, you can script some or all of this, but
> it is only worth doing if you want the users to run some specific apps
> with the rest of the system hidden.  You can also use putty on the
> windows side instead of cygwin ssh if you set up X forwarding in the
> 'tunnels' dialog.

Already tried it.
cygwin/X has severe update/tearing problems.
At least for me, it's unusable.

Thanks anyway.
Gilboa