Looking for an easy way of making a iso DVD

Fritz Whittington f.whittington at att.net
Thu Nov 3 20:22:36 UTC 2005

On or about 2005-11-03 13:02, Paul Howarth pulled out a trusty #2 pencil
and scribbled:

>>>"Easy" probably not.  Supposedly mkisofs can create DVD iso images, but
>>>I've never tried it.  Take a look at the man pages for mkisofs and
>>>mkbootdisk.  There is an explanation on making bootable CDs (man
>>>mkisofs), but it's rather complicated (at least to me).
>>>
>>>I did not see a k3b option, but not all of the options are displayed
>>>running it under gnome.
>>>
>>>Sorry not much help.
>>>

>>Thanks, Bob. The method proposed (in this thread) by Paul Howarth,
>>which uses mkisofs, does not produce a bootable iso too.
>>

>That's true, but at that point in the thread there had been no mention
>of the "bootable" requirement. The way to make a bootable CD or DVD will
>depend on what exactly it is that you want to boot into.
>
>Paul.

Don't we really want a CD/DVD that's very much like the FC install
disc?  Somebody routinely makes those, and probably has some
tools/scripts that would make a good start?

--
Fritz Whittington -- TI Alum -- http://www.tialumni.org
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." --Mahatma Gandhi