Yum grabbing wrong kernel update????

akonstam at trinity.edu akonstam at trinity.edu
Thu Nov 3 22:02:57 UTC 2005

On Thu, Nov 03, 2005 at 07:42:51PM +0000, Andy Green wrote:
> Mcguffey, David C wrote:
> > On 12 Oct 2005 I reported in a message (Subject: FC4 post-yum message
> > "Kernel panic -- not syncing: Attempted to k ill init!") that yum was
> > crashing my FC4 load to the point it wouldn't boot.
> >
> > Today, I finally tracked down the fact that when yum retrieves a kernel
> > update (2.6.11 to 2.6.13) for i686, the kernel won't survive a reboot.  It
> > will continue to run after yum is finished, but a reboot causes the message
> > reported above.
>
> Can this be some kind of problem generating or using the kernel initrd?
>    What can be seen on screen in the few lines before this error?  Is
> there room in /boot?
>
> > First question is related to the i686 verses i386 designations.  All of the
>
> i386 is the lowest common denominator which works on i586 and i686
> machines too, most packages see no benefit in making differently
> compiled versions for the more advanced CPU types, so most packages are
> compiled for i386 even if the host CPU is, say, an i686.  The kernel
> does benefit from being compiled for i686 if you have an i686-class CPU.
>
> If the problem was that you had an i386 or i586 -class CPU and were
> using the i686-compiled kernel, it would blow chunks in a more
> spectacular fashion long before this panic.
>
> > Last question (I know I shouldn't ask more than one question in a post),
> > what is the proper yum command line to exclude the two kernel updates?  I
> > want to yum everything but the kernel.
>
> just
>
> yum --exclude kernel update

I agree with the rest of the advice but the line above should be:
yum --exclude="kernel*" update
if you want all kernels to be excluded.

> should do it if I understand you correctly.  However it sounds either
> like the problem is a munged initrd generation (the /boot/initrd* file
> for the new kernel) or a problem to do with getting the right storage
> device driver into the initrd, and not related to whether yum updated
> the kernel package on the previous boot directly.
>
> Why does yum keep trying to insert a newer kernel?  sounds like the
> kernel install failed...
>
> -Andy

> --

half-done, n.:
	This is the best way to eat a kosher dill -- when it's still crunchy,
	light green, yet full of garlic flavor.  The difference between this
	and the typical soggy dark green cucumber corpse is like the
	difference between life and death.

	You may find it difficult to find a good half-done kosher dill there
	in Seattle, so what you should do is take a cab out to the airport,
	fly to New York, take the JFK Express to Jay Street-Borough Hall,
	transfer to an uptown F, get off at East Broadway, walk north on
	Essex (along the park), make your first left onto Hester Street, walk
	about fifteen steps, turn ninety degrees left, and stop.  Say to the
	man, "Let me have a nice half-done."  Worth the trouble, wasn't it?
		-- Arthur Naiman, "Every Goy's Guide to Yiddish"
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University
telephone: (210)-999-7484