USB Modem install problem

Jean François Ortolo ortolojf at free.fr
Fri Nov 4 09:34:10 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-11-03 at 21:29 +0100, Jean François Ortolo wrote:

>   I commented out the 'static' word, then a make made no error, only
> warnings:  "pointers differ in signteness", and the make install shows a
> not existing reference.
>
>   Indeed, the non existing reference make the modules unreliable.
>
>   The lsmodemd program doesn't work at all, due to this non existing
> reference.

Indeed...

  It seems the non existing reference, might come from the fact my
southbridge chip, ( nForce ), is not being recognized by the driver
package.

  However, the README shows there is a way for this nForce chip to be
taken in charge, should be to recompile my kernel with modem
capabilities, then compile with the ALSA parameter activated.

  Don't mind whether or not, an USB modem could work this way, it's a
bet for me.

  Also, I don't know whether or not, my kernel might already be
compiled, with modem capabilities... :)

  I fully hesitate for the moment...

  Thank you very much for your help.

  Jean Francois Ortolo