Do i have to worry ?

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Fri Nov 4 09:47:57 UTC 2005

Vijay Gill wrote:
> I also got this error, but from my perfectly working hard-disk. I use
> a VIA motherboard (7DXR) with a seagate 160Mb hard disk with 8Mb
> cache. Now, this hard disk has cached writes facility, which caused
> the kernel to show this message and even make hard disk useless until
> I rebooted the system.
>
> The remedy I found was to disable the cached writes by using hdparm -W0.

The remedy sounds like it solved your problem, but I don't understand
why there mere use of the drive cache, which should be transparent,
should cause CRC errors directly.

Maybe there is an underlying issue with cable length or quality vs the
UDMA speed in use with it... when the cache was enabled the drive could
spew back data fast enough to show the problem?  Just a guess that maybe
dropping down a UDMA level or two might also make the problem go away.
Although it being a VIA chipset, anything is possible or even likely.

-Andy