mail confusion

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Fri Nov 4 12:37:34 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-11-03 at 13:41 -0500, Derek Martin wrote:
> I don't think you've provided any substantial reason why for a
> stand-alone network, one is required.  And I assert that you will not
> find one.  Though I've been wrong before...  ;-)

I'm sure someone could come up with a reason for a need for one, I
certainly find having a local network domain name useful.

I run a small network, it has it's own DNS server, tied in with a DHCPD
server.  Guests get assigned IPs and names, as well as a domain name
(it's filling in all the blanks, as far as networking is concerned).
Most local machines have fixed addresses, though some are dynamic so I
can test things out.

Determination of what is local or external is quite easy using either IP
addresses or names, for filtering or other reasons (simple use the HTTP
proxy, don't use the proxy, selections, etc.).  Granted that either name
or IP can be changed by malicious users, to sidestep filtering, but the
chances of that are slim, here.

Having a domain name also avoids the nonsense you get when you call your
mail server "mail" (sans-domain name) and your ISP does the same silly
trick.

Since having a domain name is the norm, as far as internet-style
networking is concerned.  I'd say it's a bit of a bizarre want to avoid
them.

I read messages from the public lists.