still struggling with ndiswrapper

Josh Coffman josh_coffman at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 4 17:21:26 UTC 2005

--- James Pifer <jep at obrien-pifer.com> wrote:

> > The key entry in keys-wlan0 should be like
> > 	KEY='the_entire_key_here'
> >
> > the key must be exactly as displayed in the AP
> with no abcd-efgh-  type
> > structure.  It is case sensitive and must be the
> exact number of
> > characters (yes, the - is a character).  I use
> copy/paste with my web
> > browser interface to the AP to capture it and put
> it into the
> > configuration file for the adapter.
> >

> At this point I don't know what to say. I know I'm
> doing this
> correctly.
> -My key in my AP's configuration has 26 characters.
> -It will only allow me to use upper case.
> -I've directly copied and pasted the key.
> -FC4's network applet will also only use upper case.
> 	-entered with 0x in front
> -FC4's network applet correctly updates keys-wlan0.
> 	-file has KEY=[the key] WITHOUT the 0x
> -My router id a DLink DI624
>
> Is there any type of ndiswrapper debugging that can
> be turned on?
> I know the key works since I have a windows machine
> connected using the
> same key. I've also tried changing the key to
> something else.

I've been there before myself: non-wep worked, wep
didn't. Completely understand.

> It's works great without encryption, and even though
> wep kind of sucks,
> it's at least not wide open. Sorry to those of you
> that are helping but
> getting frustrated. I'm right there with you.
>
> Thanks,
> James

Just to check this off the list... did non-wep work
with the mac filter on? If the mac filter on when
trying to connect with wep?

Did you get rid of the wifi0 device/connection?

When I was at the same point, I set all the settings
using the applet. made sure all net connections where
disconnected. and checked iwconfig wlan0 to make sure
the settings had been saved by the applet. then
rebooted without any connection auto connecting.

I then opened the net applet and used the connect
button to get a wep connection to my AP. eventually I
got it, even with the default 4k kernel.

start elminating things you know are fine... you know
that:

-ndiswrapper is installed and working cause non-wep
works
-you have the right windows driver cause non-wep works
-the 16k kernel is working cause non-wep works
-static ip works cause...
-?