Postfix Sluggish

David-Paul Niner dpniner at dpniner.net
Fri Nov 4 17:28:05 UTC 2005

Welty, Richard wrote:
> Ki Song write:
>
>>Another tidbit I thought was interesting was that the maillog is about
>>23megs. It seems like it is unusually large ... the past couple weeks, the
>>logs have been around 4-8 megs ... every sunday evening the logs are backed
>>up and a new log is generated. is this relevant at all?
>

> there'd be a lot less guessing involved here if you go read the logs to
> see why they're so large.
>
> just a hint,
>    richard

The OP's domain name (knifecenter.com), looks similar to one I saw the
other day in another post.   The one I'm refering to was using dynamic
dns via no-ip.com.   If this is that same domain, there's a chance that
the MTA is having issues properly resolving the MX records (it doesn't
properly recognize itself as authoratative for that domain).    If this
is the case, problems are bound to arise.

Of course there could also be issues with receiving MTA not wanting to
accept mail from (potentially) residential IP space, or is having issues
with reverse lookups on the domain's MX records.

I'm working strictly from memory here as the original messages have been
purged, so please don't bash me if I'm off.

Thanks,
DP

--
David-Paul Niner, RHCE