Installing all packages

Guillermo Garron ggarron at alketech.com
Fri Nov 4 23:20:32 UTC 2005

Jeff Vian wrote:

>On Fri, 2005-11-04 at 18:53 -0400, Guillermo Garron wrote:
>

>>Michael A. Peters wrote:

>>>Out of curiosity - why?
>>>I've found that full installs are a PITA - even with broadband, the
>>>number of updates and time it takes to install them all is huge - and a
>>>waste of time/bandwidth for apps you do not use.
>>>

>>It is only because i am tired of "guess" wich library i need to install
>>each time i need to upgrade or install new software :)
>>

>There is no "guess" involved.
>If you use yum, it will explicitly locate and install any dependencies
>or will politely fail and tell you exactly which packages it cannot
>find.
>If you use the rpm at command line it tells you in detail which files
>are needed and a little judicious use of rpm -ql will identify the
>package for you.
>
>Knowing how to use the tools takes all guessing our of the process.
>
>OTOH, if you are compiling from source, then it is up to you to identify
>the needed packages and thus, yes, some guesswork may be involved.

>>>You can install yumex from Fedora Extras - and choose to install as many
>>>packages as you want through yumex.
>>>

>>thanks a lot i will look for that tool.
>>
>>regards,
>>Guillermo Garron

thanks you all,
i am in last situation i am trying to mount a disk from another linux
using SSH
the command is shfs but it is only available for compile option or at
least i did not find the rpm version :(

i am "guessing" i did not work on programming since my university
years.. (10 years ago!!)

greetings.
Guillermo.