IPv6 in FC4 - How

Robert Nichols rnicholsNOSPAM at comcast.net
Sat Nov 5 03:24:08 UTC 2005

Michael H. Warfield wrote:
> 	Yeah...  FC3 and FC4 and beyond have IPv6 enabled by accident.  Even
> though the configuration defaults to "no", one of the configuration
> utilities (I suspect either "ip" or "ifconfig" or both) references
> PF_INET6 and the kernel kmodloads it in for you and away you go.  But
> it's not properly configured like it should be and that's caused some
> people some problems (hence the threads on how to really REALLY turn it
> off - which requires rebooting the system, BTW...).

The problem is that if _any_ program (the resolver library is a big
culprit here) tries to do anything IPv6-related the unconfigured
kernel module gets loaded, and that module can never be unloaded.
To stop that from happening you have to alias net-pf-10 to "off"
in /etc/modprobe.conf, or else build a kernel that does not contain
IPv6 support at all.  Quite an oversight!

--
Bob Nichols         Yes, "NOSPAM" is really part of my email address.